Exciting dragon boat races are held on the Shing Mun River annually during the Dragon Boat Festival. In the 1970s, the nearby waterway was transformed from a cove into a river that empties into Tolo Harbour. Enjoy a breezy bike ride here as you whiz by boaters and kayakers on the river.
By National Geographic
Offering a traffic-free bike path, Sha Tin is a great starting point for family rides. You can start off near Shing Mun River, ride along the scenic coastline of Tolo Harbour, then head for Tai Mei Tuk for a view of the beautiful lake.
The Hong Kong Science Park has a collection of impressive state-of-the-art architecture. The park’s Charles K. Kao Auditorium in the shape of a golden egg is an Instagram-worthy landmark. You can make a quick stop here and grab some refreshments by the lake, or eat in the restaurant in the Science Park.
On the bike path from Sha Tin to Ma Liu Shui, you can take a break from riding on the Pak Shek Kok Promenade, which is a 2 km pedestrian-only pavement. You can also take in the mountain vista of Ma On Shan and Pat Sin Leng from the promenade. Once you’ve arrived at Tai Po Waterfront Park, ride another 8 km to reach Tai Mei Tuk.
Trip ideas: There are bike rental shops in Tai Wai, Sha Tin Park, Tai Po Waterfront Park, and Tai Mei Tuk. Pick a shop near your starting point and ask the rental shop staff if the bike can be returned at your destination — most rental shops will let you do so.
- Sha Tin & Tai Po District
- Starting point:
- Shing Mun River
- End point:
- Tai Mei Tuk
- Average cycling time:
- 2.5 hours
- About 22 km
- Food and beverages can be purchased at the Hong Kong Science Park, Pak Shek Kok Promenade, and Tai Mei Tuk, where there are also sites for barbecuing.
A flat, but relatively long ride, mostly on designated cycling paths.
- From Tai Wai: There are bike rental shops right outside Exit A of MTR Tai Wai Station. Grab a bike and ride along the cycling tracks towards the Shing Mun River.
- From Sha Tin: From MTR Sha Tin Station Exit A, walk to the Shing Mun River via New Town Plaza and Sha Tin Park. Rent a bike at the bike kiosk in the park.
- You may end your journey at Tai Mei Tuk or ride back to Sha Tin or Tai Wai.
- If you leave from Tai Mei Tuk, take bus 75K or 275R (Sundays and public holidays), or minibus 20C to MTR Tai Po Market Station.