Standing 44-metres tall, the old Clock Tower was erected in 1915 as part of the Kowloon–Canton Railway terminus. The once-bustling station is long gone, but this red brick and granite tower, now preserved as a Declared Monument, survives as an elegant reminder of the Age of Steam. It has also been a memorable landmark for the millions of Chinese immigrants who passed through the terminus to begin new lives not just in Hong Kong, but in other parts of the world via the city’s harbour.
|A history of the Clock Tower|
|1910||The Kowloon–Canton Railway line is opened.|
|1913||Foundations are laid for the terminus in Tsim Sha Tsui.|
|1915||The station and its clock tower are almost complete but the delivery of fittings and fixtures from Britain are delayed because of the First World War.|
|1916||Terminus station is completed and officially opened. However, the clock was not installed in the tower because of concerns about costs. Photographs from this era show the tower without a clock face.|
|1919||Funds to complete the clock tower were eventually raised. The bell and electric clock arrive in Hong Kong but installation was further postponed until necessary drawings and instructions from the manufacturer were obtained.|
|1921||After years of delays, the clock begins operating.|
|1970s||A new terminus station is opened in Hung Hom and the old station is demolished with the exception of the Clock Tower.|
|1990s||The Clock Tower is listed as a Declared Monument.|
- Star Ferry Pier, Kowloon Point, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon
- MTR Tsim Sha Tsui Station, Exit E. Walk towards Salisbury Road, then turn right and take the subway (pedestrian tunnel) located next to the YMCA to the Hong Kong Cultural Centre. Turn right again and walk straight ahead towards the waterfront; or,
- Star Ferry from Central or Wan Chai and follow the signs. The Clock Tower is located next to the Tsim Sha Tsui Star Ferry Pier.